Today is the first day back to school. While I still wish summer were a little longer (that feeling intensified the day I had kids), there is still an excitement about the first day of school. Before I listened to all the new policies and procedures and begin the manual labor of getting the classroom ready, I thought I would take a minute to get my thoughts together and list the things I wanted to accomplish in my class this year. (Here’s last year’s list which I came no where near to finishing.)
- Start student blogging, at least with advanced kids with the hope of extending in to all classes by next year.
- Practice Backward Design by putting the lessons I want students to learn at the forefront of planning.
- Organize the class around guiding/essential questions both on the large-scale and the small one.
- Provide and use an online place for regular book discussions.
- Maintain a class blog and/or podcast.
- Find a way to publish both a newspaper and literary magazine for free.
- Maintain a positive attitude no matter what my situation is.